Sunday, July 7, 2013

Ryan Homes Flooring and Stairs Explained. Rite Rug Redeemed

Post updated and due to popularity (most visited page on blog due to severe lack of Ryan Homes Flooring information elsewhere). Originally posted in May 2013 when we had a tough experience with the flooring, which we wrote about. I forwarded the link to our SR. He forwarded it to his manager... who forwarded it on and on.. by the end of the day it had reached the head of RH in the Cleveland area and the head of RR (flooring company) in Ohio..

Later, my SR would explain that there is an entire department at RH that is dedicated to monitoring blogs and Internet customer feedback about RH. RH seem to value their image beyond belief and truly care about meeting and satisfying the needs of their customers. From what I have seen they strive to correct any issues and address any negative feedback. Very impressed..

After forwarding the blog post to my SR, I saw the number of hits for that blog entry go into the stratosphere.. So I edited it and removed the actual conversation that took place at RR and reworded the bulk of the post to lessen the impact on anyone who could have provided better service. I really did not want to get anyone in trouble.

Within two days I received a phone call on my cell from the President of New Construction at RR. I was floored (no pun intended, being a flooring company and all)! He apologized that we did not receive superior service at one of their dedicated RH flooring design centers at RR. He offered to meet us at the RR location to show us the products and answer any questions, but I indicated I had already seen the products and did not want to trouble him with a trip from Columbus to Cleveland just to show me the options.

He was very professional and very attentive and wanted to know what could he and RR do to help us out. Someone else may have requested free flooring upgrades and what not, I am no saint and the idea crossed my mind.. But that was not why I wrote my initial entry about the negative flooring experience. I explained that all I wanted was what I did not receive, which is information about carpeting and padding to allow me to make choices. So here is what he explained..


 Pads:
Standard: 5lb pad: It is 3/8" thick. Recycled and bonded material. He strongly recommended upgrading it.

Upgrade 1: 8lb pad:  Antimicrobial treated to prevent mold/odor, and it has a spill guard membrane.  It is 7/16" thick.  Recycled and bonded material. Made by Carpenter, private labeled for RR. 10 or 25 years warranty or life time, cannot remember.

Upgrade 2: 8lb memory foam pad:  Antimicrobial treatment that helps prevent odor causing mold, mildew and fungus. It is moisture resistant. Made from Memory foam with recycled and bonded material. It is 7/16" thick. Made by Carpenter, private labeled for RR. Lifetime warranty.

He recommended the 8lb memory foam pad for any family with pets as it is the most durable against spills and accidents, but was very truthful and straight forward in recommending the cheaper 8lb pad without memory foam for families without pets. Simple as that, and saved me a ton of money.

I walked on those pads at RR.. the standard 5lb is crap in all truth. The 8lb memory foam felt a tiny little bit nicer than the 8lb upgrade, but not too noticeable.. See bottom of post for further discussion.



Carpets:
In answering my question about not seeing a difference between standard Carpet A and Carpet B which is the first upgrade, he indicated that the only difference with upgrading to Carpet B is the R2X Shaw stain and soil resistance in B. They are both 25oz face weight and are very similar. He said Carpet A is sufficient for upstairs and the bedrooms and low traffic areas. He said if you are selling the house within 5 years or so, get Carpet B, clean it before you sell and you are good to go. If you plan to live in the house for a long time then the best first upgrade has to be Carpet C for comfort, looks, and longevity.

He was with me on the phone for half an hour explaining various options in details and really took his time to make sure we did not have any lingering questions. I was stunned by the attention to details and was in awe by how simple and truthful the answers were. He absolutely did not try to oversell. He explained what the marketing lingo really means and what is really needed for various situations. He spoke about personally dealing with RR employees and providing better training and taking the necessary measures to ensure that future RH customers visiting RR will not have similar issues. At the end he gave me his cell phone number and urged us to call if we had any questions or issues. I could not be more happy. RR is more than fully redeemed in my book!

Our final flooring selections were:
Carpet A in the whole house in the standard carpeted areas, except the family room where we practically live so we upgraded to Carpet B.

The revelation came while enjoying lunch with the family my 4 year old was eating and rice was flying around into the floor like a tornado, and my 2 year old was swimming in sauce.. I looked at my wife and said, "you can get the most expensive carpet in the world and nothing will save it from these two... We need ceramic in the dining room. We need ceramic everywhere"

We used Upgrade 1 with the 8lb Pad in Zone 2 upstairs and the family room downstairs, and standard 5lbs pad in living room, dining room, and office.

We selected resilient (vinyl) flooring for all other areas because we really did not like the ceramic choices, and we had thoughts to replace some later with the hardwood looking porcelain tiles we saw at Lowe's.
or how about a picture..



 6 Months Later Update:

This is a 6 Months later update is based on question and answer below. As detailed above we have two different kinds of padding, the 8lb upstairs and in family room, and the standard 5lb in living and dining rooms and office. Without a doubt the 8lb is the way to go. You can absolutely feel the difference when walking over the better padding vs. the standard padding. We are pleased with our 8lb choice. Also, the 5lb feels cheaper and made of smaller separate parts (scraps) than the 8lb which feels like more continuous pieces were used.. We do not have memory foam anywhere, so I cannot speak about that other than the trials at Home Depot and Lowe's.

Just yesterday, however, we were commenting that just 8 months later, the baseline carpet upstairs looks beat up and flattish.. the 1st level upgrade from that we we only have in the family room is doing slightly better, but not by much. There are six of us, no crawlers and no pets. I hope you find this helpful in making your choices. .






Stairs

Stair options for the Victoria Falls.. 
The house comes standard with carpeted stairs (not hardwood with carpet runner). We were told that if we removed the carpet then the pine stairs underneath would just not work as it is not finished and can't be finished. I looked at them in a house under constructions and they are rather hellish (but I saw a fellow blogger post their during construction pictures and they looked OK). Mr. SR said the hardwood stairs are shipped in full pieces and are extremely heavy and solid.

As I understand it, all stairs come with unfinished pine underneath. The standard option carpets those stairs, and gives you Oak Handrail and White Balusters. As for the bullnose our SR just confirmed via email, "Yes, that's part of the upgraded stairs. On the Victoria falls its just on the one side since the wall is on the other. It looks nice." The upgrades are as follows:

I looked up some you tube videos on installing hardwood on the stairs and it seemed that is doable task given sufficient tools and time.. But those stairs are of varying sizes and shapes.. And as J Grisby points out, the Victoria Falls have multiple stair cases, "I just know the stair case is pre manufactured. They screw it and glue it together. There is absolutely no creak or groan emanating from my stair case." This is exactly what I needed to hear. I double checked with my professional handyman friend with over 30 years of experience and he said that while it can be done afterwards, it will not be as good as if RH installs it and may end up costing more..

In the Victoria Falls the stairs really shine, one of the most astonishing features of the house. Our SR couldn't show us a house that had them in our development because none of the houses going up selected that option, but he did say the stairs are very heavy solid hardwood. In the model home (Courtland Gate) the stairs are outstanding, so after banging my fists against them and hearing the super dense wood talk back in a very muted tone, we paid the $2,700 to upgrade the stairs to hardwood without carpet.
So.. here we go, it should look like so..

Note: Stairs section was a separate post but I combined it here for relevance.. Please visit original post for useful reader comments: 



Important Flooring Notes for Later:
1. Home Depot will not install over existing pad. They must install their own.

2. Lowe's will install over existing pad in some cases, but it will void the carpet warranty.

3. Warranty: According to Home Depot and Lowe's and some manufacturer documentation I saw, to be able to claim carpet warranty you must show a proof (via receipts) that you had cleaned the carpet professionally once a year. So in other words, when it says lifetime warranty... It is, but most people won't be able to claim it.

4. I flat out asked Home Depot if anyone came claiming a carpet warranty, and the rep said no. At Lowe's the rep said he had seen it done.. I know most people will not professionally clean those carpets, and if they do they won't find the receipts when they need them.

5. RR will install over existing pad purchased from them through RH when purchasing the house, and warranty will be valid. No issues to worry about here if going back to RR in the future.

 
More about Pads and testing at Home Depot:

There was some negative sentiment about memory foam pads from a highly experienced rug installer I spoke with, something about it not bouncing back up quickly enough to protect the carpet. At Home Depot I did blind tests walking on a whole lot of covered pads and realized that 8lb was the sweet spot.. the 21lb rubber did not feel good. The Scotch guard 8lb 1/2 inch one felt the best.. and the Step ahead 8lb at 69 cents was very good too. The memory foam at 79 cents was also pretty good. The rest was awful. The traffic Master 8lb @ 49 cents was closer to the 6lb than 8lb in comfort and I did not like it. Here is a picture of the Home Depot selection.. At Lowe's the selection was rather limited..


10 comments:

  1. Great post! That was awesome of RR's President of New Construction to personally call you. You read about horror stories of people not getting back to you, but this was a great show of customer service! We went with the white fox upstairs, and our flooring rep is mailing us samples (they would not send samples for anything other than carpet).

    Great info on Lowes/HD. It seems carpet and cars are the same (e.g., you must show documented proper care and maintenance before warranties are honored).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you.. I was shocked to receive the phone call, but very pleased. I agonized over carpeting and pads and flooring choices.. In the middle of the process we upgraded to more than we ended up with.. But the next day changed the flooring selections to the very basic after the dining incident I just added above..

      I also updated the post above to include more information about carpet pads, which I agonized over more than the carpets themselves, considering warranty and what have you down the road. I posted about the Home Depot selection. The Lowe's pad selection was rather limited, mostly 5lb and 8lb and the 21lb rubber..

      Delete
  2. WOW! This is a great post and I appreciate the research and time you put into sharing this information.

    In our community, we were able to choose the standard padding up to 10 lb padding. We ended up choosing the 10lb padding because we have a pet and the sales representative stated that this would be the best choice if there were future accidents. Thank God we did because our mini schnauzer just got sick and was pooping everywhere!!!! Ugghhh I chose the standard carpet in the basement that I intend to rip out because the carpet I would like was not part of the RH offerings. We did choose the 10 Ib padding in the basement for the same reasons as the upper level. I am so thankful to read your blog that we can use the same padding with Lowes or the RH carpet company in Maryland which I need to talk to again about our padding and future options.

    We are going to get Stanley Steemer to clean the carpet because he made a mess on the carpet. I will be sure to keep my receipt handy. Again, thank you for such a well thought out post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. We did not have the 10 lb option, although I have read about it in other places. From all the tests we did the biggest difference seemed to be in the thickness and material, not the density. Sorry to hear about the accident, we don't have pets so the choice was simpler and more economical :)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you brought to light the fact that RH has a dedicated team reading these blogs! This was not something that I had originally realized when I started blogging about my experience, and I won't say that I have changed much of it since finding out (our SR actually mentioned it to our realtor while she was trying to negotiate... unsuccessfully) and since then I've tried to take the same approach you have - give everyone you interact with the benefit of the doubt, as well as ample chance to prove themselves. But again, there are times when you need to be completely truthful in your experience and if they're reading it, then all the better, so they can spend some time to focus on improving the overall customer experience.

    I think it's great that you got a call from someone so high up, but I sincerely hope we never have a problem big enough to warrant that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope no one ever has the issue we had run into with flooring, and we brought it to light exactly to make sure it was reported.. I was very surprised by the call, and was very grateful. I give full credit to ur SR who pushed the issue higher up, otherwise it would have remained blogrants..

      They read these blogs, and we try to restrain ourselves, lots is left out, but if stuff needs to be broadcasted to the world to get attention, we will broadcast it.. Thousands of visitors have been to this blog, much to our surprise.. So there is power in these pages.

      Delete
  4. Hi there, I am about to order carpeting for a new RH build and I appreciate the info here. Just wanted to post a follow up question about how the different padding has held up so far and ask if you could do it again, would you change anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thanks for visiting. As detailed above we have two different kinds of padding, the 8lb upstairs and in family room, and the standard 5lb in living and dining rooms and office. Without a doubt the 8lb is the way to go. You can absolutely feel the difference when walking over the better padding vs. the standard padding. We are pleased with our 8lb choice.

      We do not have memory foam anywhere, so I cannot speak about that other than the trials at Home Depot and Lowe's posted above.

      Just yesterday, however, we were commenting that just 8 months later, the baseline carpet upstairs looks beat up and flattish.. the 1st level upgrade from that we we only have in the family room is doing slightly better, but not by much. There are six of us, no crawlers and no pets. I hope you find this helpful in making your choices. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Great post meeting with Rite Rug in Strongsville this week and I really appreciate the honest opinion! (even if this post is almost two years old now its the most helpful I have found)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I visited your blog and laughed a good deal when I saw your link to our blog describing it as "2 years old but Super helpful (Avon, Ohio)." Starting to feel my age!

      Delete